Monday, May 18, 2009

Starchy Archie

I wish I could say that I love vegetables, but I am not going to lie. There are not many vegetables that I TRULY like. I love green peas, but only if they're served with mashed potatoes. I discovered last summer that I really like zucchini and squash from the grill--sliced and placed in a foil pouch with butter, salt and pepper. Also yummy to add onions. Yum. OK....that's about it. (Does sweet potato casserole count?)

Call me a sucker for starches. When I think of sidedishes I immediately want a starch. You know when you order "vegetables" at a restaurant? I gravitate towards the macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes. So healthy, right?

A couple of years ago my aunt made spoonbread at a family gathering. I had never, ever heard of it. But, I've been hooked ever since.

She found the recipe in one of her Southern Living magazines. I went on-line and was able to find the exact recipe she used. And to make it even better....it's SO easy. But, not as easy as it is yummy. It's buttery, starchy, and corny. (hee hee)

Try it out! (I have to admit, I DO try to serve something green with this sidedish.)

Another thing....The vegetables that come in a ready-to-steam bag are my pick when serving veggies. My kids would have no veggies for dinner, otherwise. (Hey, I never said I was "Mother of the Year".)

No comments: