Jack had his 2 year check-up today. Thank goodness Ben was able to accompany me to and help with the two kiddos.
Long story short: Jack is in the 15% for weight (yay!-up from 10%), 75% for height, 25% for head circumference. He is definitely a tall, skinny boy. We have been worried about his weight and eating habits, but the MD was pleased to see his weight % rise. He doesn't feel we need to worry about his eating (or lack, thereof) since toddlers tend to go through an "eating slump". And, as my own pediatrician told my Mom at this age, "I've never lost a child to starvation."
The MD was very impressed at the progress Jack had made with his speech. Last time, he (we) were a little worried because he wasn't saying very much. Now, he feels Jack is "coming out of the woods" as far as speech delays go.
It's no surprise that Jack has a few hang-ups about social situations. He has come a long way in just the past few months. The MD sees his anxiety every time we enter his office. Most visits include a lot of screaming and yelling. I know a lot of kids hate going to the doctor, but Jack is exceptionally sensitive. We tried playing up the doctor before going by talking about what he was going to do. I brought along his toy stethoscope and even let him pick out a toy to take with him. The MD asked Jack to listen to his heart and Mickey's heart (Jack's toy of choice) before the doctor tried to listen to Jack's. Didn't work...he screamed and said "no". I had to hold him as tight as I could while the MD listened to his heart and lungs. But, he quickly calmed down once the doctor was done.
I was happy that Jack only had 1 vaccination today. He doesn't get anymore (excluding yearly flu shots) until he enters kindergarten. Wow....hadn't thought about him gong to kindergarten. I'm sure it will be here in no time!
Thanks, Ben, for taking time off work to go with me. It was a life (and sanity) saver!
Long story short: Jack is in the 15% for weight (yay!-up from 10%), 75% for height, 25% for head circumference. He is definitely a tall, skinny boy. We have been worried about his weight and eating habits, but the MD was pleased to see his weight % rise. He doesn't feel we need to worry about his eating (or lack, thereof) since toddlers tend to go through an "eating slump". And, as my own pediatrician told my Mom at this age, "I've never lost a child to starvation."
The MD was very impressed at the progress Jack had made with his speech. Last time, he (we) were a little worried because he wasn't saying very much. Now, he feels Jack is "coming out of the woods" as far as speech delays go.
It's no surprise that Jack has a few hang-ups about social situations. He has come a long way in just the past few months. The MD sees his anxiety every time we enter his office. Most visits include a lot of screaming and yelling. I know a lot of kids hate going to the doctor, but Jack is exceptionally sensitive. We tried playing up the doctor before going by talking about what he was going to do. I brought along his toy stethoscope and even let him pick out a toy to take with him. The MD asked Jack to listen to his heart and Mickey's heart (Jack's toy of choice) before the doctor tried to listen to Jack's. Didn't work...he screamed and said "no". I had to hold him as tight as I could while the MD listened to his heart and lungs. But, he quickly calmed down once the doctor was done.
I was happy that Jack only had 1 vaccination today. He doesn't get anymore (excluding yearly flu shots) until he enters kindergarten. Wow....hadn't thought about him gong to kindergarten. I'm sure it will be here in no time!
Thanks, Ben, for taking time off work to go with me. It was a life (and sanity) saver!
No comments:
Post a Comment