Monday, August 18, 2008

Parental responsibility

Ben and I never go to the movies. (1) They're very expensive and (2) it's hard to get out when you have kids. We really don't miss going to the movies. At least I don't. In all honesty, the only movies I get excited about seeing in the theater are the Harry Potter movies. I usually don't want to wait until it comes out on DVD. But, I digress.

We went to a matinee on Sunday. We saw a movie that is definitely an adult movie, despite it's PG-13 rating. I think this movie deserved an "R" rating. I wouldn't want my 13 year old to see it. (Thank goodness I don't have a 13 year old.)

When we first sat down in the theater I decided to head to the restroom before the movie started. I returned to find a family of about 7 seated directly behind Ben. I whispered, "Let's move down some" because I'm one of those people who hates when others kick the back of my chair, cough on me, etc. So, we move to the other end of the row. Thank goodness we did.

Good thing this was a very loud, action packed movie. Otherwise, all I would have heard were the sounds of kids (ranging in age from 5 to 8) wanting to sit on their Mother's lap, spilling their drinks, etc.

Most importantly, why would anyone bring their child to a movie where someone is being killed every 2 minutes? This was an extremely dark movie and was marketed as such. Do some parents just not care? If so, it saddens me. All Ben and I could say to each other during the movie was, "I can't believe these children are watching this movie."

Second, do they not care about others? I don't pay an arm and a leg to sit in a theater with kids when I intentionally left mine at home (with a sitter, of course). I mean, theaters cost so much these days that I'm not ashamed to admit that I smuggled in fruit snacks, cookies, M&Ms, a can of diet coke (in a koozie) and a 20 oz. bottle of Coke. I obviously don't believe in health food at the movie theater.

Even though I may recommend seeing The Dark Knight, I highly recommend leaving your children at home.

No comments: