Sunday, July 5, 2009

Angel sleeves, any one?


I have been having sewing withdrawal, so I decided to finish smocking a dress that I started a LONG time ago. I had so much going on up until the move that I wasn't able to get all of my sewing done. I buckled down and gave myself a deadline: Anna Scott had to wear it to church on Sunday. There you go. If I didn't finish, I would be a failure.
But, I endured and finished the armholes this morning in time to iron it and throw it on her for our first church visit in Hershey.
This is a pink floral bishop smocked in 2 shades of pink with hot pink flowers and green leaves. I made it summery by giving it angel sleeves that stick out so much it looks like she could fly away. I also decided to add a lace trim to the sleeves to make it kind of old-fashioned. The only problem with the lace is that it's kind of soft and wants to flip up under the sleeve itself. If I were to do this again I would try to choose a stiffer lace.
I think this dress is so cute. I'm glad I was able to finish it before it gets cool around here. I am told that August can get pretty hot, so I at least have till September. I'm sure October will be too fall-ish around here for this dress.
You see how long the dress is? Well, I'm hoping Fat-fat can wear it next year, too. (Fingers crossed.)

1 comment:

margaret said...

beautiful!! good job finishing it in time. don't ask if i've even started smocking that crab dress for maddie. ;) so glad that jack is having fun with the stomp rocket. it's a toy that no male can resist....

hope you guys have a great week! i'll call you soon!