Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Our neighbor



This is our neighbor. He lives in our backyard. Actually, he lives in the crosstie on our retaining wall on our deck right outside our back door and back windows. Specific enough?

I see him and his significant other a few times a day. They scurry in and out of their home. I imagine they are gathering for the winter. (Do chipmunk's do that?)

I think there are only 2 of them, but I don't know. It's nothing compared to the Rat Infestation of 2007, where they multiplied daily. (Thank goodness they were exterminated.)

What's funny about the rats is that I would watch them outside the window while I fed Jack in his highchair. I would say, "look at how cute they are, Jack." I'd call Ben at work and tell him how cute they are, how they look like mice, etc. But, everyday I would see more and more rats coming out of hiding to eat the dog's food and water. I really got fed up when I saw the presents they left for me on the deck. I had thoughts of disease and plagues running through my mind. That's when I realized we needed to get rid of them. I'll spare you the details.

I don't believe chipmunks fall into the rat category. In fact, I would say that chipmunks are a step above a squirrell. I don't know why, but I think it has to do with Disney's Chip and Dale. They were my favorite when I was a child. I got a stuffed Dale at Disney World on one of our trips to that magical place.

Hmmm...maybe that's what I should name our neighbors? Chip and Dale.

No comments: