Wednesday, January 14, 2009

And the winner is...

...Megan! For worst Mom of the year!

We all have what I call "bad Mommy moments". But, please, 2 big ones in one week? I win hands down .

Last week, I slammed 2 of Anna Scott's fingers in the car door. I was horrified! Another Mom witnessed it and she and I stood there trying to make sure her fingers were ok. She was crying, of course, but was moving her fingers. They quickly swelled, but the bruising didn't show up until a few hours later. After I was able to calm her down, pick up Jack from school, and get her home, I put her on the floor to really assess the damage. She didn't even seemed phased. She crawled, picked up toys, ate lunch like a champ....even picking up tiny peas and carrots with her hurt fingers. At that point I figured I didn't need to call the pediatrician. I assumed they were fine if she could use them without even flinching. I closed the door on that bad Mommy moment. (Until I saw how much more bruised they were the next day....then I felt bad all over again.)

Fast forward to today. The kids and I went to the grocery store after school to get a few things. Loading 2 kids, much less groceries, into a car can be timeconsuming and exhausting. It's an artform in itself. As a Mom, I think about logistics. Which child do I get out of the cart first? It's cold outside, so maybe I should get the baby in first. No, Jack can move more, so I should get him in before he tries to climb out of the cart. I chose the latter. But, in a hurry to get the baby into the warm car, I throw Jack in, tell him to sit in his car seat, and close the door. After getting the baby buckled in and the groceries loaded, I returned the cart (I was parked next to the cart return- again, logistics). It wasn't until I got home that I realized Jack was sitting in his car seat UNBUCKLED. What?! Images ran through my mind of all of the bad things that could have happened. I live close to the grocery store, but, still - anything could have happened. Again, I was horrified with myself.

I will now accept my trophy.

1 comment:

margaret said...

congratulations, megan!!! i'm so proud of you. i knew you'd win this prestigous award soon enough. they are actually starting to clutter up the shelves at my house since i've won so many of them over the years. therefore, i have officially withdrawn myself from the competition for the next 16 years. i feel like it's just not fair to all those other mommies out there (especially the new mommies - amateurs....).

i don't know if you actually gotten your award yet, but i'll go ahead and spoil the surprise for you - it's a big, fat poopie diaper (NOT bagged, of course) on a beautiful gold stand. understated, yet elegant.

;)