Sunday, August 9, 2009

Praise the Lord for...

...hot dogs and Vacation Bible School that starts at age 3!

Jack had a great time at his first VBS. It just so happens that it was held at the church where he (and Anna Scott) will be attending preschool this fall.
Anna Scott really wanted to stay for VBS and was sad that she wasn't old enough. But, she was happy with the food at the VBS picnic on Friday night. Shocker.
The church held a picnic and the kids gave a little performance on the last day. Jack, of course, had stage fright.
So did I! At least I wasn't the only parent who had to sit up there with their 3 year old while they sang. Unfortunately, Jack wouldn't sing and yelled, "No, Mommy" any time that I encouraged him to. The audience had a good chuckle over that.

The things you do as parents.


We got tickled after the performance when Annie played on the AC vent. She was tickled, too.

FYI: Her dress is unbuttoned because she got all wet in the water fountain in the church courtyard. Ben had taken her back to the car to undress her when I ran out and told him that Jack was going to be singing in the program. He threw her wet dress back on her and brought her in. She didn't seem to mind.

On a kind of related church subject, Jack's conversations about church have been pretty funny lately. He's already caught on to the "Sunday School" answer to every question: Jesus. Everytime I pick him up from church/VBS here's how the conversation goes:
Me: Did you have fun at church?
Jack: Yes!
Me: What did you do?
Jack: I played toys!
Me: Were you a good boy?
Jack: Yes!
Me: What did you learn about?
Jack: Jesus!
Me: What did you learn about Jesus?
Jack: I don't know, Mommy.
It never fails. This is our exact conversation.
I tried something new earlier this week and it seemed to have worked today. I've been encouraging him to listen to the story about Jesus because I was going to ask him what it was about.
I picked him up from Sunday school today and started out our normal conversation...
Me: What did you learn about today?
Jack: Jesus!
Me: What about Jesus?
Jack: The towers fell.
The towers fell? I about fell over right then. I was so proud. I looked at his activity sheets that they sent home with him and, sure enough, he learned about the walls of Jericho falling down. He must have really heard me this week when I told him I was going to be asking more questions. It made me feel good.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm so proud Jack went to VBS. Matthew is afraid of strangers, so it was a no-go for us this year. I love all the pictures...Anna's dresses are adorable.