Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lessons learned with The Wiggles

We travelled to Nashville on Friday to see The Wiggles in concert. It was eventful, to say the least.

We get to my sister's house a couple hours before the concert began. Jack was exhausted because he hadn't had a nap yet. We made the decision to keep him awake and nap in the car on the way to the concert. We figured it would take us about 40 minutes to get to the auditorium, which doesn't compare to his normal 3 hour nap. Some nap is better than no nap.

So, we leave over an hour before we thought the concert began. We're driving from south of Nashville and start to hit some traffic. I then get a phone call from my sister's car saying, "You aren't going to believe this. I just looked at the tickets and the concert doesn't start at 3:30 PM- it starts at 3pm.) This whole time my sister and I thought we were doing good on time to make a 3:30pm show. It was now 2:50pm. I was a little stressed, but have learned that when there is nothing you can do to change a situation you just have to go with it and remain calm.

Our GPS messes up at one point, but we totally caught it. It told us to merge LEFT onto 440 East. All of the traffic signs showed going RIGHT onto 440 east. We go with the traffic signs and go right. Good choice!

After we get there and spend 10 minutes finding a parking spot, we get another phone call from my sister's car saying they were lost. It's probably 3:20 by now. We had just gotten the kids unloaded and ready to go, but had to wait for my sister to arrive because (get this) she has our tickets! This was really stressful for me because we had absolutely no idea where they were, but were trying to help them get there. It was especially hard since we know absolutely nothing about Nashville.

OK- we're all finally there. I couldn't get to the auditorium fast enough. I was so excited! Why? I don't know. I think I was just so excited for Jack to see The Wiggles. Truth be told, I actually got a little teary-eyed walking into the auditorium. I was ready to see excitement and happiness radiate from Jack's face.





Now, we know this didn't happen, right? Jack actually was good during the performance- as long as you didn't talk to him about it. You know how it is. I was trying to get him excited by singing the songs to him and encouraging him to dance. The only response I got was a scream and a loud, "no!". He was totally ok if I left him alone on Ben's lap. He got really excited after each song when others would applaud and was eager to join in.



Of all people, my sister's daughter, Kennedy, was the worst. She did not know what to think of seeing The Wiggles on video versus seeing them in real life. It was a little overwhelming. This is one of my favorite pictures from the weekend. I love the scowl on her face.




Lisa and I had the best time! We danced and sang to our hearts content. We were like two little kids when it came to comparing the video Wiggles and real-life Wiggles. Here's our assessment:





ANTHONY



Our favorite Wiggle. Meaning, nothing about him seems creepy at all. We like to say he's the good-looking Wiggle, (relatively speaking). Lisa and her girlfriend each had their haircut the morning of the concert and we joked that it was because they wanted to look good for Anthony.





SAM


Sam is the new Wiggle and is quite good. He has an awesome voice. He is also a lot "fluffier" in person than in the videos. I thought the camera was supposed to add 10 lbs.






MURRAY


Nothing much to say about Murray. I'm indifferent. Hence, no picture.






JEFF


Jeff has always creeped me out. He's also not a very good Wiggle....not a great dancer, even a little uncoordinated. I thought he was creepier in person. Lisa disagrees and thinks he's less creepy.







BENNY


Mine and Lisa's favorite dancer! He was even better in person than in the videos. We laughed and smiled the whole time we watched him. Truly, we were a little too excited to see Benny. He does this great head-bob....it's awesome. And we no longer question his sexuality after seeing him dance live.




Speaking of great head-bobs...we decided all of the back-up dancers used to be cheerleaders. They tumble and use very cheerleader-y facial expressions. Lisa and I said how we could be Wiggle dancers. I proceeded to tell her that if I were a Wiggle dancer I would have to be called a Wiggly-Jiggly dancer. You figure it out.





Things we have learned from this trip:

1. Double check your showtime even if you're absolutely sure of the start time.

2. Don't trust mapquest.

3. If you are going to a show in separate cars, distribute tickets before going your separate ways. This prevents anyone from having to wait on a lost party member to enter the venue.

4. Don't get too excited about taking your toddler to a show just because they like it on TV. They probably are going to hate seeing them in person.


3 comments:

margaret said...

laughing out loud!!! you didn't tell me all that happened! i also love the critiques (and we're not even wiggles fans!).

margaret said...

okay, i just now realized that i probably seem like i'm 80 years old. OBVIOUSLY, i should have typed "LOL". sorry for the gross oversight and online taboo. ;)

Megan said...

OK, Marge....you just made me LOL :) That's hilarious!