I picked up Jack from "church camp" today and this is my conversation with his teacher:
teacher: We had a little accident today...(lifting up his shirt to show me his back)...The kids were all being so good and were working on their craft when all of a sudden I hear a "BAM" and turn to see that the fridge fell on Jack.
me: (I thought "what the...?")
teacher: (crying)
Jack: (smiling, happy- which is very out of the ordinary for Jack)
teacher: We tried to call you. He seems ok, but he winced when I picked him up later to change his diaper. I thought maybe his back was bothering him, but I couldn't see any bruising. I was so worried about his head when it first happened- see his eye.
me: (I really don't see anything wrong with his eye.) Ben was saying the other day how he didn't like the small (think college dorm) refrigerators being on those small tables in the classrooms. He thought a child could accidentally pull it down on top of them.
teacher: Oh, it wasn't one of those refrigerators.
me: (I totally picture a big refrigerator- like the one in my kitchen.)
teacher: It was one of the wooden play refrigerators we have in each room.
me: Oh- (sigh of relief)-I'm sure he's fine. If he seems to be acting funny I'll just take him to the pediatrician. I'm sure he's ok.
The poor teacher started to cry and genuinely felt so bad. Of course, I felt bad for Jack; but, I also felt bad for the teacher. She was probably so worried about telling me. Do you think she rehearsed this speech in her head? Wouldn't she know I would automatically think of a big refrigerator? Even those little dorm room refrigerators are heavy.
On a lighter note, I am delighted to find out that I totally under-estimated "church camp". It's actually a THREE week program instead of a TWO week program. That's 8 whole hours I have toddler-free next week! Not that I don't love having Jack around- but I can get so much done in that time!
And on an even lighter note, I just laid Anna Scott in her crib FULLY awake and she fell asleep totally on her own. Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment